Monday, April 27, 2009

Economic vegetarians

I've never been that fond of meat, although the only meat I really love, is.. raw meat.. Carpaccio and steak are my favorite meat dishes. The steak can be baked, but just for one minute on each side. 

Before I was diagnosed with diabetes, I didn't eat veggies. I didn't like them nor did I like fruit. 
People have told me that once you are forced to eat healthy food, you won't go back to junk food. And I must say: in my case, they are absolutely right. I can't imagine my diet without vegetables or fruit anymore. They are the main products in my meals nowadays. 

Meat is not the best choice when you have a slow digestion. My body tells me when I have eaten meat. I feel weird and my intestines aren't happy. So I forget about the meat. 

Do you know how expensive meat is? Especially the meat I like? If you are fond of pork, prices are reasonable. But for quite a few years now, I try to cut back on pork. I'm crazy, you all know that, and I like to make monthly menus of what we are going to have for breakfast - lunch - dinner in the month to come. That's when I realised how much pork we ate. And I wanted to change that. So far so good. But now I'm not only skipping on pork, but also on other kinds of meat. I feel better and it gives me extra money to spend on fresh greens and fruit of all sorts.

Does that mean I'm an economic vegetarian? 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

in the early days of menkind, they only ate meet once in a while, so i think you are pretty normal...
i'me +/_ the same in eating meet.
greetings titin

www.kokenenhogehakken.blogspot.be said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one Titin :-)