Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Grateful

Today I realised, how lucky I am to have so many good friends. Friendship is so important in this hasty world of selfishness where people live their lives behind closed curtains.
I don't see my friends as often as I would like to, but I do appreciate them a lot. It's strange, when I think about it, but it's like my friends are categorised in different boxes: I have a long term friend that I have known for 20 years now. We live just around the block from one another, but we have more like a phone call relationship. It would be kinda weird not to hear her voice after the weekend.
I have a friend that is very special to me because we can talk about anything. Over the years, she's become a very good friend of mine and I like to take her on day trips. Then we go to the mall or we go out for a drink or a bite. And there's always a plate of food waiting for me when I show up at her place, even when she doesn't expect me, she always makes me feel at home.
One friend used to be a colleague of mine, and we have this kind of on/off friendship. We can fight like two dogs over a bone, but we always bury the hatchet, every single time. 
Then there is this tomboy, who is always in for fun. Our children have the same age and they are friends as well. She has way too much energy for me, but we do get along just fine. After her divorce, she has moved several times, but we still keep in touch and once in a while, we meet and chitchat about our adventures (mostly her adventures, 'cause I'm a good girl lolz).
Another friend of mine, is my mentor. She used to be my French teacher, but over the years, she's become my Life teacher. She is so wise and warm-hearted and she gives me good advice. 
My male friends are very special to me as well. Got to know them through hubby's work, but they became my friends as well and I couldn't miss them any more. Love you guys :-)
Then there are my sugar babes: people I met through the diabetes forum I frequent. They call me the spam queen, but in a friendly way. These people know about diabetes and we understand one another, without having to say all that much. We get together once in a while and that is always something to look forward to.
I may not forget my overseas friends. Some of them I never met in real life, but you know, sometimes we know more about each other than our own relatives do. 

To all of my friends: thank you for your cuddles, your shoulder, your attention. Thank you for being my friend. I love you. I hope I can be as good a friend to you as you are to me. 

4 comments:

atram said...

Thanks Cat... it's so sweet, you mean so much to me too...

www.kokenenhogehakken.blogspot.be said...

We don't see one another as much as I would like, but I think of you very often. xx

Upje said...

Hunny, maybe you have such good friends ... because you are so very fantastic yourself?! ;)

www.kokenenhogehakken.blogspot.be said...

Thank you Upje. You have been a very good friend to me as well. You are a very special young woman and I value you a great deal xxx