Saturday, April 3, 2010

If only you knew

You mean so much to me. You have always been like a mother to me. Whenever I came out of college, I drove to your house to tell you about my week in school. You have always been there for me whenever I was in trouble. Nowadays, we share the same disease: diabetes. You have type 2 while I have type 1, but we both know what it's like to have a chronic disease that deserves your attention 24/7.

You texted me that you were in the hospital. I wasn't surprised at all. We had spoken on the phone this week and you told me you had blisters under your feet, that is, under your toes, and they hurt big time. I asked you to go see your endocrinologist, because wounds on your feet are not a very good thing if you have diabetes. Wounds heal harder if you're a diabetic, especially if your blood sugars are high. You told me your blood sugars have been pretty normal lately, so I'm a little reassured. I will come visit you today. I love you, mammie, and want to hold you and tell you everything is going to be okay. I hope the pain is bearable and you will get better soon.


No comments: