Sunday, May 24, 2009

Walk like an Egyptian

I have been romantically evolved with an Egyptian man, a long time ago. He was no good for me, but I was blinded by love. On the other hand, was that love? Being manipulated and humiliated? Everybody told me to leave him, but I couldn't. Because there was also another side to him. That side I liked. But unfortunately that's the side of him I didn't see often enough.

He was in Belgium illegally. He worked although he wasn't supposed to. I worked for him and I worked like 20 hours a day, until I couldn't think straight anymore. My best friend told me he was no good. That's when he decided I shouldn't see my friends or family any more. He told me they were racists, not real friends. Because if they were my friends, they would see how happy he made me. And I believed him..
My aunt and uncle never gave up on me, although they weren't happy with him. But they welcomed me at any time in their home. They made me realise in the end that I should leave him.. And luckily enough, my best friend didn't give up on me either. I didn't speak to her for a whole year, but then we started to talk again and I'm grateful for that.

That relationship left a very bad aftertaste in my mouth and deep wounds in my heart for quite some time. I lost myself completely and I had a hard time coming back to life. But I did.

I have visited Egypt twice since. I still believe it's a beautiful country and the natives are very attractive. I have also seen the look in the eyes of our eldest daughter, being admired by the local men. Egyptian men can make you feel like a princess. Some men make you feel like a slave. And that's a shame..

No comments: