Thursday, July 16, 2009

Calm as a cucumber

Some time ago, we took the children, a nephew and an aunt to the movies in Holland. We were driving two cars, since we didn't fit in one. On the way back, I had to make a stop in Zelzate, Belgium. We were at the cross road, standing next to each other. I had to make a left turn, my husband had to go straight forward. We were waving at each other, when the lights turned green. I was taking a left turn, when I saw this woman on her bicycle, ignoring the red light. I was gob-smacked and thinking to myself: what the heck is she doing???? and then I heard this horrible bang. She hit my husband's car!! In a flash, I saw the surprised look on his face, not knowing what had happened or what had hit his car! I opened the door, rushed out and heard someone behind me yell: that man ran over a woman!!! I couldn't believe my ears! he didn't run over anyone! She ignored a red light!

My worst fear was, that she were dead.. But she wasn't. In fact, she had no injuries at all. She turned over, looked me in the eye and calm as a cucumber, she said: "don't call the police! I'm drunk!" Like hell I wouldn't call the police? What the f**k! She could have killed herself!

My husband was afraid to open his car door, because he couldn't see her. We were all in shock, but she calmly stood up, had a cigarette and said: "no biggie, don't worry about it, I'm fine."

But I called the police and they came over. "No, we don't need an ambulance, thank you. We only want the police to write down what had happened." We were lucky to have some witnesses that saw the whole thing happen. The police checked the car and there were no dents or scratches.

You know what really startled me? This lady was riding her bike, DRUNK AS A SKUNK, she ignored a red light! and she rode into my husband's car!! And you know what? The police thought it was pretty funny. She didn't get a ticket! She should have gotten at least three!
We were all shaken up and confused about the whole thing. The police put the bike in their van and drove the "lady" home.

A couple of hours later, I saw her.. buying another six pack of beer in a local shop. Truly amazing..

No comments: