Sunday, July 5, 2009

A problem shared is a problem halved

My diabetes forum friends mean a lot to me. We share our feelings and experiences and we understand one another. Today we had a wonderful meeting. It's so good to see each other once in a while. We're all going through a roller-coaster glucose period at the moment, because of the sunny weather and the hot temperatures. Our glucose drops more often, leading to hypos and binge eating. Believe me, you do not want to go there. I'm so glad that I had the chance to talk to my friends about it. They experience the exact same thing!
Most doctors don't like forums on diabetes. Does it scare them, that diabetics exchange experiences? That they hear about different treatments, different methods, different everything? But they should know, not one diabetic is alike. We are all so different and so is the way we deal with diabetes. It is nice to know though, that there are so many people out there, sharing that same condition. You don't always want to talk to your doctor and some things are only discussed with our forum friends. Some physicians still don't get it: theory and practice are two different things. We need the theory, we absolutely do. We wouldn't be anywhere without it. But the experience of others teaches us even more. I know the forum has taught me a great deal in diabetes treatment and we help each other out as well as possible. We don't give medical advice though. We are no doctors after all. A pat on the shoulder, a thumb pointing upwards, a visit when someone is in the hospital,... it's all part of the game.
Thank you friends, for a wonderful time! And I'm glad some new faces joined in today!

No comments: