Wednesday, August 12, 2009

No regrets

Today is our 14th anniversary. We got married in church on August 12th 1995. It was not a traditional wedding at all. In fact, the ceremony took no more than 15 minutes. Both our parents wanted us to get married in church although neither of us ever goes to church (funerals and baptisms don't count). But hey, we wanted to please our parents (I can't remember my parents ever going to church??), so we got married in church, in our own way. The ceremony was that short, that my youngest brother-in-law didn't make it to church in time, to see us get wed. In fact, nobody remembered to bring him along..
Because one couple got married the hour before us and another couple was getting married after us, there was a red carpet and loads of flowers in church. So it did feel kind of special after all. I don't remember too much of that day. We didn't have much money to spend. I didn't even have the money to go to the hair dresser on my wedding day. My wedding gown (do you call it a gown, even if you wear trousers? lolz) was too small (I had given birth to our eldest daughter a couple of months prior to the wedding), so I had my zipper open all day.
We had a small reception on the school yard in my husband's hometown and later on that evening, there was a BBQ for the relatives. We couldn't afford anything else. It was easy going and we didn't hear any complaints. Our daughter Lana, who was 5 months at the time, came along (we had no baby sitter as everybody we knew attended the wedding) and she slept all through the party.
My favorite aunt didn't get to spend much time at the wedding. She was rushed into the ER with kidney problems. What a day..
It was great to have hubby's grandfather at the wedding. He danced all night, having the time of his life! He died a couple of years ago. We were really attached and he always joked around.

Apparently, outer appearance isn't important after all, because we are still married right? So I guess we are doing pretty well and I have no regrets about this marriage.


2 comments:

Upje said...

Proficiat, Cathy & husband! Jullie doen dat goed ... .

www.kokenenhogehakken.blogspot.be said...

en straks is het jullie toer hè!