Sunday, August 30, 2009

What are you waiting for?

I hear so many people eat out instead of do some home cooking. But what are you waiting for? What keeps you from cooking? It's so much fun and it's relaxing and it gives you that much satisfaction. At least, that's what it does for me.
When I was at my friend's house, she showed me around in her archery. She has three different kinds of apple trees and we picked quite some apples for me to take home. I tried to figure out what to do with all the apples and this is what I did: I made apple pie and apple butter. Let me give you the recipe for the apple butter. It's easy and totally easy for lazy bones!
Okay, this is what you need:

3 lbs of apples (1.3 kg)
1 pint of apple juice (500 ml)
granulated sugar
cinnamon
all spice

You wash the apples and you dice them, without peeling or coring them. Now that's easy, isn't it? Don't tell me this is too hard!
Dump the diced apples in a pot and cover them with the apple juice (I used ginger bolero because it's sugar free). Bring to a boil and let it simmer until the apples are mushy.
Sieve the apples and throw away any leftover skins or core. Weigh the pulp. For every 1 lbs of pulp (500 gr), you use 1 level teaspoon of ground cinnamon, 1 level teaspoon of ground all spice and 12 oz (350 gr) of sugar (6 oz or 175 gr of Tagatesse - a sugar substitute). Bring to the boil again until the apple butter has the desired consistency. Pour the apple butter in sterilised warm jars and screws the lids on immediately. Let the apple butter cool upside down on a damp cloth.
Keep the apple butter in a cool and dark place and in the fridge after you've opened the jar. Enjoy this delicacy on toast or on English muffins or Belgian waffles!


No comments: