Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Calling 911

Last night I was rushed to the hospital. The special intervention team and the ambulance had their blue lights on in front of my house and there was a lot of commotion in the house. I had called my GP, because I had been experiencing lows (33 mg/dl - 53 mg/dl) for 2 hours, without being able to recover from it. My doctor advised me to go to the hospital. Hubby was at work and I was at home with the girls and a friend of our eldest daughter. I felt sick to my stomach, I was nauseous and had a pounding headache. I had a slurred speech and had difficulties concentrating. My children had already given me pure glucose to help me out, but it didn't get any better. So my GP told me to call the hospital for further treatment.
It wasn't easy for the paramedics to find me. We live in a small village, and there aren't that many streets. Seven streets have the same name though and they really had a hard time finding me. We saw blue lights flashing by, going the wrong way and back. But finally they got here...
My eldest daughter had warned her dad and had run over to the neighbors for help. All I could think of was: please, let the paramedics get here before I slide into a diabetic coma!!! I didn't want them to be traumatised by seeing their mommy go into a coma.. The youngest one was playing in her room and she had no idea what was going on downstairs. I asked my eldest not to scare her. Daddy was on his way home and the ambulance was here to help me out.
They rushed me into the emergency room (I didn't see any McDreamy though..), where I finally came to my senses. I threw up in the ambulance (sorry paramedics, but I couldn't help it) and some more in the hospital. They wanted to keep me there under surveillance and that was a good idea.
I'm really tired now. I want to catch up some sleep.
It's good to have neighbors who are willing to help out if you're in trouble.
It's a good thing that my children are capable of helping out if mom is not conscious enough to take care of herself.
It's a good thing hubby rushed home from work to stay with the children while I was in hospital.
It's a good thing to have paramedics to help you out..
My friends were so worried and I got too many phone calls. The paramedics in the hospital asked me to warn them when I was ready to take a rest. LOL.
And of course, there are my diabetic friends, whose support I embrace and cherish..

Thank you all, for being there for me.


No comments: