Sunday, February 21, 2010

Never judge a book by its cover

I met an interesting man. He's 92, still living by himself and very up to date. He has a sparkling personality and a great sense of humor. Some of his jokes are a little on the edge, but that's okay. I can put it in perspective. He said I had a very cute face, but it didn't match the big body.. Darn.. ouch.. that hurt. But his daughter warned me about these possible comments. He can't help it. He's no longer the person he used to be and sometimes he scolds people or ridicules them. I can deal with that. He's a witty man and he has a lot of wisdom to share. He and his wife have raised 8 children and they all love him very deeply. Sadly enough, he lost his wife nearly a quarter of a century ago. He's keeping up the spirit though.

I know many people that are a whole lot younger than him, who aren't as witty and sharp as he is. He's not the typical old man and I believe he would even be offended if one would call him old! Old people are not necessarily boring and dull and lonely. Not all of them sleep all day and have no idea what year we're in. In fact, this man is pretty different. I hope to see more of him. A little voice inside me tells me that is going to be the case. Even if it's only temporarily..


No comments: