Thursday, October 7, 2010

Spaghetti without the carbs

I'm not the only one who has made the choice to eat low carb. Some do so for health reasons, others because they are not really in to carbs. I was a true carbohydrate junkie before I was diagnosed with diabetes. Over the years, I have had real problems digesting carbs and they surely spiked my blood sugars! Especially whole wheat bread, rice, pasta,.. So I try to find substitutes to cook healthy and delicious low carb meals.
Spaghetti Spirelli Slicer
I was in the mall with a friend of mine. Only one shop really drew my attention: the cook shop. I ran into this great appliance: spaghetti spirelli slicer! Google spirelli on the website and you'll see what I'm talking about. I have tried yellow and green zucchini, carrots, cucumber. You can then stir-fry or poach the extra long strands of veggie spaghetti according to whatever you want your dish to look like. Maybe I should try parsnip or horseradish as well?

In one part of Belgium, there's this dish called "Steppegras". We're talking the thinnest French fries you've ever seen! And guess what? I can make them now, with my very own spaghetti spirelli slicer! Too bad those are not low carb.. or fat free.

No comments: