Monday, May 18, 2009

A clown with a mask

You were my teacher at the time. We were in a class of about 15 adults and you taught French. You were a very warm and gentle character. I liked you a lot. One day, you asked me to stay after class. You had to talk to me..

You said I was a clown, wearing a mask. There was so much grief and sadness behind the mask. Sadness you recognised. Grief you wanted to help me out with. We had long conversations. We understood one another. With you, I could be me. We kept in touch. You became my mentor. There is so much wisdom in the words you say and the gestures that don't remain unnoticed. Sometimes we would just hug and cry. They were not only tears of sadness. 

I always look forward to spending time with you: healthy luncheons, going for a walk, spend time in your cosy home, our long and illuminate talks. I have grown because of you. You made me look at me and evaluate myself. You told me I was a valuable person and I had so much talent. If only we could have our own business together. You could do what you were good at and I would do my part. That would be thrilling!

Thank you for your advice, your warmth and the strength you have been giving me over all these years. I miss you. I hope we will meet up again soon. Maybe in your new home?

No comments: