Sunday, August 2, 2009

Have a happy period

Periods. I don't remember anything happy about periods. Do you? Some women feel they need their periods to feel feminine. I'm not one of those women. I hated my period from day one. It never made me feel feminine. It made me feel awkward, embarrassed and not clean. I dreaded the day my period would break through again and I felt so relieved when the last day announced itself. Up for another period-free couple of weeks.
Having my uterus removed was one the best decisions I made. Our family was complete with two gorgeous daughters. There was no need to keep on having periods and taking birth control pills. I asked my gynaecologist about it on several occasions. She said there was no actual reason to keep the uterus. I had anaemia because of my intense periods and the constant blood loss wore me out. The hormone swings weren't any good in maintaining good blood glucose control either. So in 2003, one year after being diagnosed with diabetes, I had a hysterectomy. She told me to be careful for 2 months, but soon enough, I felt better and more energetic.
And you know what? I haven't missed one single period!!! I'm so happy that I got rid of them!! It won't surprise you that I couldn't be very thrilled about my daughters' menses.. They don't have tummy aches, no back pain, no excess blood loss. I'm happy for them. Because they have a long life of menses ahead of them.

2 comments:

Maggy said...

Je hebt groot gelijk voor mij zijn maandstonden ook geen must. En vrouwelijker voel ik me er zeker niet door, eerder vies. Ik neem Cerazette een minipil zonder oestroegeen, je neemt die 28 dagen ipv 21 dus zonder stopweek, daardoor blijven je regels uit. Bij de meesten toch. Ik neem nu al 8j die pil en heb al 8j geen regels gehad en heb er zeker geen spijt van. Voor iemand als ik (zwaar fysiek beperkt)is het dubbel gemakkelijk aangezien ik men intieme verzorging niet zelf kan doen en dit wel vaak genante situatie's meebracht.

www.kokenenhogehakken.blogspot.be said...

Gelukkig bestaat er een pil zoals Cerazette en het hormonenstaafje. Jammer genoeg dat die bij mij niets uithaalden en ik moest grijpen naar drastischer oplossingen. Ik ben blij voor jou dat het wel werkt.