Saturday, December 12, 2009

Complete control

Those who know me, know that I'm a perfectionist and a control freak. I've been both for as long as I have been on this Earth. I thought time would soften the edges a little, but the edges have only become sharper. I want things to be perfect or at least the way I want them to be. I dare myself all the time and I like to be challenged. I want to be good at whatever I undertake. That's why I put so much effort in working on getting an acceptable HbA1c. We only have one body and I want to honor and cherish that body. Is it a surprise to you that I take my diabetes very seriously? To me, it's normal..
Some people tell me to slow down and make less fuss about it. I hear about the complications of bad HbA1c's: kidney failure, amputations, blindness, neuropathy, .. If the goal is to get an HbA1c of < 7%, then that is what I'm aiming for. I have reached the magic 7 so far and I'm pretty proud of myself for that. I have put a lot of effort in it and it takes a lot of control and checking and poking your fingers. But it pays off in the end, and that was my goal, wasn't it?

I realise I cannot always be in control. Some factors are just so unpredictable and unexpected, that there's not much you can do about it. Other things are easier to control. And that's where you need to start: trying to understand your own body and how it works. Then you need to take a look at your food intake and start to count carbs. Carb counting is an effort, but it's not as difficult as you may think. You are smarter than you think. If I can do it, why couldn't you? Give it a chance.
Try to find some role model, that can inspire you. Preferably someone with diabetes as well. Someone with a positive attitude, who can help you get better control. Don't give up. There's hope for all of us..


4 comments:

Upje said...

Be sure you are mine ... Thanks!

www.kokenenhogehakken.blogspot.be said...

I'm your role model???? Oh my gosh... that's not very promising to you, is it? LOL

Upje said...

Op db-gebied ben jij dat écht, hoor. Hoe toegewijd jij daarmee bezig bent, hoe je altijd op zoek gaat naar de nieuwste mogelijkheden (en ons van al die kennis laat meegenieten), etc etc. Het is dankzij jou (en de anderen, maar toch) dat ik nu koolhydraten tel, dat ik er echt voor ga, dat het - hoewel waarschijnlijk bij de volgende HbA1C-meting minder geslaagd dan de vorige keer - al stukken beter lukt dan pakweg twee, drie, vier, ... twintig jaar geleden.

Ik heb gesproken. Uch! ;)

www.kokenenhogehakken.blogspot.be said...

okay okay, I surrender... lol..

Nee serieus Upje, ik ben heel blij dat je back on track bent, of misschien eindelijk on track? Je bent kei goed bezig. Ik heb nog niet zolang diabetes als jij, maar ik weet dat jij het niet gemakkelijk gehad hebt. Je bent toch uit het dal gekropen en je zult nog hoge toppen scheren!