Saturday, February 13, 2010

Trop is too much

I don't know why, but I'm not very attracted to people that are in to drinking a lot of alcohol. In fact, I believe it's rather appalling and vulgar. There's this tendency amongst young kids to start drinking at a too young age. They start drinking all these vodka based mix drinks. They drink it like it were lemonade. Although under aged youngsters are not allowed to drink, many do.
I remember these 13 year old boys, buying beer before they went to school. There was this small grocery store in our street where we used to live, and school kids would go in there around 8:00 AM to buy some cans of beer. They would start drinking those before they headed of for school. I thought that was so disturbing and sad. Why would kids start to drink at such a young age?

Our girls have reached that age now. It bothers me that they will be going out somewhere in the near future. In this household, we hardly drink any alcohol. Of course we have a couple of glasses of wine when we have friends over for dinner and we do have some drinks in a restaurant or a bar. But not to that extend that we are loaded afterwards. To be honest, I don't tolerate alcohol that well. It makes me feel sick to my stomach and no longer in control after a certain amount of alcohol. It worries me that some people are real binge drinkers. They are so used to drinking, that they wouldn't get through the day without their favorite beer or cocktail. Isn't that sad? I know it's an addiction and mostly the drinker is in denial considering his drinking behavior. But what if people keep pointing out to you, that you drink too much or that you need your booze on a daily basis? Do you think they would nag at you if it weren't an issue?
Binge drinking is scary. It's dangerous to your body and your organs might get brutally affected. Think heart, think liver, think brains. Most drinkers underestimate the effects of their alcohol intake. I can only hope my girls will be smart enough to not overdo it..


No comments: