Friday, May 14, 2010

A food log

When I was first diagnosed with D, I was asked to keep a food diary and a diabetes diary. I have done both for a little while, but I found the BG numbers too confronting, so I stopped doing so.
Every now and then, I make a food log, just for me. To see how I'm doing.

I have been advised to cut down on carbohydrates. It could be the only way for me to loose weight. Previously I was given the advise to have a daily intake of 220 grams of carbohydrates. That's a whole lot, compared to what I'm having now. For quite a few years, I have ignored the 220 number. I tried to figure out what my body needed or wanted, and 100 grams of carb a day, sounded reasonable. Weight doesn't come off at 100 gr though. So now I'm trying to eat between 40-80 gr a day. And I cut out bread/potatoes/pasta/rice/pastry/cookies.. Because those are the products that make my BG swing terribly. The first result of one week low(er) carb is minus 3 kg. I'm happy!

This is an example of my food diary:

breakfast: cottage cheese and red fruit (15 gr carbs), a vegetable/fruit smoothie (10 gr carbs)

lunch: a lot of vegetables and some fish - yogurt and some fruit (15 gr carbs)

snack: cheese or some other carbfree product

dinner: a lot of vegetables and some meat or fish - 3 crackers (15 gr carbs)

snack: fresh cheese or yogurt (15 gr carbs)

Some days I have more carbs, especially if I had low blood sugars. That's when I must have extra carbs to get better numbers. Those are the carbs I don't want to eat..

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Way to go on the progress! It can be so hard managing carb intake, and having to suck down extra carbs for low blood sugars is really irritating.