Thursday, July 22, 2010

To pump or not to pump

I haven't always had an insulin pump. The first four years of my life as a diabetic, I survived on shooting up insulin. My endocrinologist had suggested a pump before, but I wasn't ready for it. I thought it would be nothing but a hassle. After all, you're hooked up 24/7. But then I heard about other people on insulin pumps and I had the chance to see some in real life and talk to their owners. It made me cross the line.

Making the decision to go on the pump, was a very wise one. It helped me achieve better control and I got more freedom. Yes, you heard that one right: more freedom! Even with a pump being attached to my body 24/7, I feel more free. No specific bedtimes any more. No more early wake up calls on weekends, because I no longer needed to get up at a certain time for my Lantus. What a relief.. I had less high morning readings and it was easier to correct my blood glucose. I was used to 5 insulin shots a day, and I didn't feel much like giving myself corrections by adding 1 or 2 shots to those 5.

I have had 3 different kinds of pumps: I started out with the Deltec Cozmo. That was my most favorite pump so far. Too bad it went out of business. I was really attached to my "Gizmo". I was forced to trade it for the Paradigm 722. That pump gave me the opportunity to try out CGM or Continuous Glucose Monitoring, an expensive but clever system, that warns you for low or high blood glucose.
I now have the Accu-Chek Combo since June 23. It's a great pump! I still miss some features my Cozmo had, but this pump certainly has other advantages. Wouldn't want to miss it! I have several systems to carry the pump and it is not an issue to have it attached to my body. It's become a part of me, just like my glasses have.

If one day - and I wish that day will never come - one of my children would get diagnosed with D, I would certainly recommend them a pump. Because it's the best solution so far and it's the closest one can get to mimicking a real pancreas. I'm glad we are that privileged we can make that choice in our country. There are no costs for the patient. And it definitely gives us a better life..

No comments: