Monday, October 18, 2010

Let's roll up our sleeves

Tomorrow afternoon I'm going to attend my first cooking class for diabetics. My daughter thought I was going to take cooking class for dummies.. NOT! Hello...???

I think it's really going to be interesting. Some of the other students I have met in the diabetes pub in Ghent.  And I have met the teacher as well. She's a dietician and diabetics are a great part of the population that comes to consult her. Most diabetics have type 2 diabetes and I'm a type 1, but in the end we all have diabetes. Treatment is different somehow. Many type 2 diabetics take nothing but tablets. They have to rely on a strict diet, exercise and their tablets. As a type 1, I totally rely on insulin. For every gram of carbohydrates I eat, I need to inject insulin. That's why I try to eat low-carb, so my insulin dosage remains low. I know dieticians aren't very happy with low-carb eaters, but that's okay. It's not their body, right?

Can't wait to go! I'm looking forward to it. I'll tell you all about it when I get home.

No comments: