Wednesday, December 15, 2010

A standing O

Photo by Lana Joos

My oldest daughter gave me a standing ovation for this delicious home made meal. I had this feeling I wanted to make ravioli and was still looking for a filling, when I remembered an appetizer of goat cheese and fresh cheese, rolled in finely chopped nuts. And immediately I knew that was going to be the base of my ravioli.

Home made pasta is so easy to make and it tastes a whole lot better than the storebought stuff. Being in control of the ingredients is another benefit we can't deny. So yes, I'm a fan!

First I made the pasta, using 500 grams of Italian pasta "00" flour, a pinch of salt, 5 free range eggs and two tablespoons of oil.
For the filling, I made a mixture of 150 grams of fresh goat cheese, 50 grams of cream cheese and a handful of toasted, ground hazelnuts. That's when I discovered a leftover summer truffle in my fridge and I decided to chop it up and add it to the cheese mixture, enriched with a few drops of truffle oil. I kept the filling in the fridge until the pasta dough was ready to work.

I made the ravioli and boiled them in salted water. Leaving them to dry on a kitchen towel, I chopped a shallot and a couple of slices of bacon. Those were to be baked in a bit of oil, before I added the cooked ravioli, soy cream, fresh chives, pepper and salt. A piece of parmesan cheese was sitting on the table, ready to be grated over our delicious meal.. Life is beautiful..

No comments: