Sunday, August 28, 2011

China in your hand

I was 19. For some time, I had had my favorite bar where I would go to on Friday nights. It was just around the corner from where we lived and I would walk down there, to have a drink and a good time with friends. I didn't have that much of an allowance, so I helped out in the bar and in the kitchen. It didn't pay much either, but at least, I got free drinks for the rest of the night.

There was a variety of people in the bar. Fridays were different than Saturdays, but as I said: my night out was Friday night. I would always see the same people, quite some French people too. One year, a bunch of us agreed to go out for New Year's Eve. It was supposed to be a huge event and I really looked forward to that. I hadn't really gone out that much - even though I was already 19 - so to me: it was a big deal. One of the waiters of the bar was going to join me. I was totally excited about the whole thing.

I was driving my car the other day, and the radio played this one particular song, that brought me back in time, back to that New Year's Eve in 1990. The friend that had asked me out, invited me to dance. I normally don't dance, but that night was somehow different. I really wanted to dance with him! We danced our way to the dance floor, chit chatting and laughing and having a good time. It felt great! We really liked each other and I could discuss anything with him. We had an evening to remember.

It was not till a couple of years later, that I heard this friend had not been totally sincere with me. But then again: it all made sense. Why we could talk so well, why we liked to hang out, why I felt so safe around him. My buddy fancied boys.. not girls..

2 comments:

Jangeox said...

hihi, dat zijn de liefsten, zeker ;-)

www.kokenenhogehakken.blogspot.be said...

Mijn gaydar was toen nog niet echt gefinetuned, vrees ik..