Monday, December 5, 2011

L'amour interdit

One of my favorite musicals - maybe even my most favorite one - is the French version of Roméo et Juliette. The CD I like to keep in my car, for lonely hours of driving all by myself. I like to crank up the volume and sing along. Although French is not really my favorite language, the French on this CD is pronounced so well that I love to listen to it.

L'amour interdit. Forbidden love. It happens all the time. It happens all around the world. Maybe it's even happening somewhere right now? Who will tell? Probably nobody since it's a forbidden love.. a love that is not meant to happen. A love that has to be left a secret, because it's an impossible love as well. If you haven't been there, you have no idea what it feels like. What if you're madly in love with someone and you're not permitted to let that person know? Or maybe that person knows but his surroundings disagree and see it as an impossible relationship? What if your parents try to mislead you by hiding secret letters from your beloved one? What if they don't pass you the messages left on the answering machine? What if they pout whenever you mention the secret love of your life? What if.. what if..

Would life have been different? Would you have married your amour interdit? Would the secrecy and mystery of the secret life survive if the secret were unraveled?

L'amour interdit. L'amour heureux. Forbidden love. A love story from all times. A reality for some.

No comments: