Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Hot legs

I was discussing the difference in food culture between America and our small country. My American friends were appalled by the fact that we eat horse meat, frog legs, squab,.. I even fooled you for a moment, Paula,  telling you we prepared chicken pot pie with peacock instead of chicken. Just kidding, my friend! We would never eat peacock! Go figure! But yes, we have horse meat and squab and even frog legs. You told me you had never heard of anyone eating frog legs. A couple of days later, I saw a documentary on the Hairy Bikers in Arkansas. They went "frog gigging", meaning they went hunting for frogs to eat them. They would use a spear  with 3 or 4 barbed tines, to catch the frogs. A flashlight shone into the eyes of the frog, would make them daze, making it easier for the hunter to gig it. The popping sound it made when the spear was dug into the frog, was absolutely gross. I have no idea how our frogs our caught. I don't even know where our frog legs come from. Maybe China?

The way those Hairy Bikers prepared their frog legs though, looked very tasty. They would roll them in flour, shake of any excess, dip them in buttermilk and then cover them with Japanese panko bread crumbs. Once that preparation was done, the frog legs were fried in hot oil and then dipped in spicy BBQ sauce, just like they would do with chicken wings. Trust me, frog meat is very tender and tastes somewhere between chicken and fish. Just like crocodile meat. In New Orleans, it's pretty common to have crocodile for dinner. We have it in our supermarket on special occasions, but it's not exactly something I would pick. I have tried it when I was in New Orleans and it tasted pretty good, but not that good that I would prefer it over a juicy steak.

One day, Paula, I'll bring my family to the Hook Ranch. I promise you: we won't bother your frogs. They can live happily every after. They look much better with their legs attached to their body..

No comments: