Monday, September 24, 2012

Slow motion

Last night, I was on the phone with a friend. She used to have a fulltime job. I say "used to", because she quit the job to have more quality time with her family and do things that are more important to her. She wants to be independent instead of working for a boss. She asked if I remembered our conversation on working moms and stay-at-home moms. I did.. During that conversation I told her that my life is so hectic and full of activities although I only "work" 10 hours a week. She always thought I had plenty of Me Time to spend. NOT! Now she's a stay-at-home mom too, she understands. She thinks it's because we are not rushed to do anything, because there's no deadline. I don't agree.. My life is not passing by in slow motion, on the contrary. I make to do lists, just like if I would be at work. Things need to be done. There's cleaning to do, laundry to be washed, groceries to be done and meals to be cooked. The kids need a driver (we have 3 kids now), they need help with homework (I forward their questions to their dad... I admit). At the end of the day, I'm glad I can take a seat and relax a bit. Who says stay-at-home moms don't work? We don't have someone who picks up the clutter while we are at work. There's nobody to cook our meals by the time we come home. The gardener leaves the work up to my husband and we don't pay a dogsitter to walk the dogs. But you know what? I like it this way. I'm a stay-at-home mom and I'm proud of it.

No comments: