Friday, February 15, 2013

When will I see you again?

I'm getting better at it. At making appointments, I mean. I no longer meet up with people without scheduling it in my agenda at least two weeks in advance. "Nothing special about that.", I hear you say and to a certain point, you are right. The thing is, I used to be out a lot. As in: a whole lot. As in: I was out more than I was at home. Too much is never good. So I tried to cut back on making appointments and outdoor trips all across the country. It hasn't been easy, I must admit that. I like spontaneous outings, but I also understand I don't live all by myself. I am still me and I am still an outgoing person, but I have cut back on my lunches and dinner dates.

I'm trying to figure out some kind of system. Trying to split up the weeks and fit in some dates, without exaggerating. It's hard though... There are people I would like to see monthly. Some people I'm happy to see twice a year. How about the ones I would like to talk to weekly? I puzzle and I postpone and I plan and I reject. I thought it would tear me apart to say no to invitations and in the beginning it really was painful, because I don't like to let people down. I have now come to the conclusion that people only send you an invitation. It's okay to say no. You don't have to be there every time. It makes the next date even more fun.

No matter how long it takes before we meet again: we always pick up where we left of the previous time. Because friendship is not about the quantity of the meetings. It's about having a good time together and sharing feelings and stories. It's about caring enough to ask how the other is really doing. Not the: how are you? I'm fine - situations. I want to go beyond that. Because the friendships are not superficial. Because friends are important, just like family is.

No comments: