Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Tricky situations

I had this weird situation in the middle of the night. Going to bed, I had this feeling of a low coming up. Right there and then, my Dexcom warned me and I had 4 pieces of candy before my head hit the pillow. I was so tired and could only think of ZZZZZZZZ.. Just before I closed my eyes, I switched off the low and high alarms on my CGM, so I could have a good night of sleep without being alarmed of highs and lows. I hear you say: isn't that what CGM is supposed to do? Warn you of dangerous situations? Of course.. The thing is, I normally don't have real high numbers at night. So it's no problem to turn off that alarm. I do get quite some warnings though, that my BG is dropping below 70. That's not really a dangerous situation, so I decided to turn off that alarm too. Don't worry: there is still the < 55 mg/dl alarm that you can't turn off. That's also the alarm you wouldn't want to turn off, since it can prevent you from getting into serious trouble.

Anyway, I put the Dexcom beside my pillow and closed my eyes. Not too long after that first low, the < 55 mg/dl alarm went off. I guess I was too tired an tried to ignore the alarm. But my Dexcom didn't agree with me, so he kept buzzing. In the end, I did respond, but I wasn't aware of it. I overdosed, by eating way too much candy and way too many cookies. Somewhere in my brain, there must have been a spot that told me to bolus for the excess carbs. How weird is it, that I tried to "bolus" on my Dexcom.. It is not possible since there is no insulin involved in CGM, but I did enter 15 grams of carbs in my receiver..

This morning, my husband told me that my alarm had gone off several times that night. That I hadn't responded to them at first. That I had eaten candy and cookies and that I had pushed some buttons on the Dexcom. I had no idea what he was talking about, so I plugged in the receiver in my notebook and downloaded the data. There it was! The subconscious is really freaky! It makes me take action in some daze and that does worries me. So I asked him to wake me up, if I am too low to respond to the alarm. I need to be awake completely, not in some twilight zone. I don't want to give myself a shot of insulin without being fully awake. This time, I only bolused myself on the Dexcom, meaning I didn't give any insulin. I just entered data. But what if I'm low in the middle of the night and I bolus myself on my glucometer? THAT is scary... To keep myself from doing stupid things, I am no longer taking my meter to bed with me. I have my Dexcom. It will wake me up - sometimes I will need my hubby to help me wake up - and I won't have the tools to shoot up insulin. My insulin pump is hidden in a band around my waist underneath my pj's. Okay, I have had high numbers all night, but I corrected those in the morning. And I have learned a lesson once again.. The buzzer is not annoying enough at night. I need that high Hypo Repeat signal.. sorry hubby...

No comments: