Tuesday, May 5, 2009

I'll be there for you

March 18th, 1995. Our first daughter is born, 3 weeks early..

I didn't want to get married just because I was pregnant. I thought that was the wrong reason. 
I never wanted to get married when I was a teen. But then again, I had not met my husband yet. 

On May 5th 1995, the two of us said our wedding vows. Getting married and saying your wedding vows is not something you do overnight. You think about it. You don't sleep. Your heart pounds. It makes you sick to the stomach and it excites you at the same time. And then you sign that little piece of paper, that makes you husband and wife. And that's it. You are married. Just like that! As if!

Both our parents insisted on a marriage in church, although I'm not a believer and my husband only goes to church to bury someone or celebrate a baptism. We gave in only half way, and the ceremony was over in 10 minutes. The priest blessed our wedding rings in church, without having a religious service. After that glorious moment, we had a great party and invited everyone to a barbecue. 

Marriage is no fairy tale. It's hard work. It takes efforts and sacrifices on a daily basis. But in the end, your other half stands beside you, whenever you need him. 

Every year, hubby asks me what he can get me for our wedding anniversary. He has asked me for 14 years now. And I never know what to tell him. But this year, I have known long in advance. I want him to say: I'll be there for you. Because that's all I expect from him: that he will be there for me..

No comments: