Sunday, March 21, 2010

Only one day

Someone asked me what I would do, if I could be diabetes free for one day.. I really had to think about that. Do I lead a different life since diagnosis? What do I miss and do I really miss out on things? I'm not sure. Life has become a little more complicated, because I need to think about action - reaction all the time. I can never put anything in my mouth without wondering what it will do to my blood sugars. But how could I change not thinking about that if I were diabetes free for one day? I guess I would still think: If I had diabetes, I would have to weigh that particular food and count carbs, so my mind wouldn't be free after all. Even if I didn't have to weigh and count carbs, I would still think of it, because it's become part of my life and I'm so used to it.

What would I do differently? I don't know. Honestly. I don't feel like there are things I can't do because of my condition. I probably wouldn't be that overweight if it weren't for D. But then again: what difference would that make on just one diabetes free day?

Would I be happy if a cure would be found to get rid of diabetes? Absolutely! Especially for the children out there, who should be leading a guilt free and careless life. They shouldn't have to worry about getting their insulin shots in time. They shouldn't have to worry about lows in the playground and hypers in school. I have fully accepted the fact that I have D, but I wouldn't mind getting rid of it. Not because of D itself, but because of the complications it may bring and because of the impact it has on family life..

No comments: