Every now and then, we are allowed to treat ourselves. The pudding I'm going to share with you today, is a dessert we endeavoured during our stay in Egypt. It's the Arabic version of bread pudding and I must say: it's heavenly. It is called Um Ali or Om Ali, meaning the mother of Ali.
what do we need:
- 1 package of frozen puff pastry sheets
- 1 can of sweetened condensed milk
- 3 cups of water
- 1/2 cup of double cream
- 3/4 cup of pistachios, shelled and chopped finely
- 1/2 cup of pine nuts
- 1/2 cup of blanched almonds, chopped finely
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 200°C.
- Place the pastry sheets on greased baking sheets and bake them for 15 min or until golden and puffy.
- Remove them from the oven and let them cool.
- Break the puff pastry into small pieces and mingle with the nuts.
- Place the nuts and the pastry in a greased baking dish.
- Heat the sweetened milk, vanilla and water on medium heat in a saucepan. Let it cook for about 5 min. Allow the mixture to cool.
- Pour the milk over the bread/nut mixture and pour the cream on top.
- Bake the dish for 15 min until golden.
- Dig in!