Thursday, January 21, 2010

Living on the edge

I'm tired. I'm so tired. I can't go to bed at a decent time, but I really need to get some sleep. My back is still hurting and I'm glad the chiropractor brings me some relief.

Last night, I had another LO on my meter, meaning my blood sugars dropped below 20 mg/dl. That's scary. You are hanging between consciousness and unconsciousness and it seems like life is running out of your body. A cold wind is racing through your body and you feel shaky and shivery. My lips were stinging and my legs felt like rubber. I don't like to see LO on my meter, because it is so scary. On the other hand, I'm glad I have a meter!

The other day, I watched a video on India and Kenya. Diabetes is so common in those countries and medical supplies so poor. Many people cannot afford a meter or even insulin. As a type 1 diabetic, you are not entitled to a long life if you live in poverty. It's sad. Many young children have this disease in Kenya and India. I feel for them. I can use my meter and my insulin pump to control D. They can't.

So who's living on the edge here?


No comments: