Saturday, May 2, 2009

Craving Carbs

I'm a real carbohydrate person. I love fresh baked bread, pasta, rice, baked potatoes, cookies,..
People need carbs in order to get energy for their muscles. No carbs = no energy. But too many carbs make you lazy and tired. So you need to find a balance.

When you have diabetes, you are supposed to know all about carbs. In the old days, diabetics had to give up on sugar, but nobody told them about carbohydrates. It's not until several years ago that scientists realised that all carbs effect your blood glucose level. Not just sugar.. So they turned our world upside down. There are still many diabetics out there, that don't know about carbs. They still believe what doctors told them 50 years ago. 

People with diabetes can eat anything, if in reasonable amounts, and that is no different than healthy choices anyone should make. I mean, give us a break, will you? Stop telling us what we can/cannot eat, if you don't know about diabetes treatment. 

We can eat anything, but that doesn't mean we do. For example, I do not drink regular soda pop, because I do not want to inject insulin for something that can be easily replaced by something as simple as diet soda pop. And I prefer the taste of diet soda anyway.
Yes, we can eat pie, but I was never fond of pie in the first place. So why would I eat pie now? I do eat pie, if I made it myself :-)

But then.. bread.. I love bread, in all its forms and shapes. Too bad bread spikes my blood sugar and the slow digestion leaves me with a full stomach and high blood sugars for many hours. So I try to cut back on the bread. Most days I don't eat it. But on special occasions, like when we go out for dinner, I will have some bread and then I'm so satisfied.

I love pasta as well, but pasta also spikes my blood sugar, so I tend to eat more sauce than pasta. Lolz. I'm not sad about that.

Don't treat me like I'm dumb. I do know about carbs and what they do to my body. So don't try to persuade me to eat pies and cookies and breads and high carb meals. Because I won't, although I crave carbs..

No comments: