Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Food poisoning

Here we go again... Due to my vulnerable stomach, I spent the entire afternoon and evening feeling sick. It always starts off with a terrible pounding headache. I was shopping with the girls and I just knew I had to head home. The headache was killing me. It's that kind of headache that warns me I have eaten something wrong or overdue. Different kinds of food passed my mind and all I could think of was the lunch that I had had. It came out of the freezer. Maybe it had been in there too long? I don't know..

So we rushed home and soon after we got there, I started vomiting. I always fill a little bucket with water and soap, because I can't stand the sight nor the smell the vomit leaves behind. That's another reason why I cannot vomit in a toilet. Hanging over it...ugh.. So yes, my lunch came out and soon after, I vomited nothing but bile until my gall bladder was totally empty. In between, I tried to take a nap on the couch. I felt like crap and was not able to cook dinner for the kids. They were pretty quiet and were sitting right beside me. Whenever I had to throw up, I ran onto the terrace, so they wouldn't have to face it. Our sweet tomcat Arthur joined me every time. He sat beside me and comforted me, rubbing his head against my legs. He's such a great cat!

By 10 PM, I was empty.. totally empty. Not feeling better though. So I went to bed, put a fresh bucket of water and soap beside me and fell apart..

It's always scary as a diabetic on insulin when you throw up. You have insulin in your body, but no food left. There's a big chance your blood sugar drops to hypoglycaemia. So I checked pretty often. I also tried to check for ketones, but my ketone sticks had expired. I'll have to ask some new ones when I go to the hospital. When you have ketones, you throw up as well. But I'm pretty sure it was my lunch that did the trick.

I checked my blood sugar regularly last night and it was fine. Waking up at 5:30 AM, my tummy still feels upset and weird and I'm longing for a cup of coffee, but I'm afraid to have one. Maybe I'll have some toast and yogurt later on. I want to be better, because I have planned a visit to a friend today. Since we are going out for lunch, I do not want to get sick again. So I'm planning on having a light lunch, a salad probably.


2 comments:

Upje said...

En kan het ook geen migraine geweest zijn?

Ik hoop in alle geval dat je je intussen al heel wat beter voelt, en dat je momenteel op pad bent voor een overheerlijke lunch!

Zoen,

www.kokenenhogehakken.blogspot.be said...

Ik weet niet of dat migraine is? Meestal heb ik dit na het eten van iets dat over datum is of slecht bewaard is?

Ik voel me vandaag weer kiplekker en heb genoten van een heerlijk dagje Lokeren!