Monday, July 6, 2009

Shooting up


Out of curiosity, this morning I injected the amount of insulin I use on a daily basis, on a teaspoon. I wanted to see the exact amount of medication that keeps me going. And you know what? I think it's pretty ridiculous to see how little it is, although I use quite some insulin. Just imagine, that this little puddle of drugs is responsible for keeping me alive. Isn't that kinda weird? When I think of some friends of mine, that need like 1/4 of my dosage, how little would that be? How about people that inject insulin and only use about 4 units per shot? How can you be sure the full amount needed is absorbed by your body? What if you spill a drop?

I'm so happy we have the possibility to pump insulin and to even just be able to use insulin! Not all diabetics are that fortunate. Think of the poor countries, think of young, poor children that do not have the money to buy medication. Think of their parents.. It's devastating.. This small puddle of insulin keeps me alive. Every diabetic should have access to the medication they need.


No comments: