Wednesday, July 22, 2009

What goes up, must come down

I have told you before, that my sugar level rizes real fast, after eating carbohydrates. My blood glucose (BG) levels are pretty much okay, as long as I don't eat carbs. We do need carbs, or we have no energy to live our lives. Some people claim you can survive on 50 gr of carbs per day. Okay, I believe you can survive on it, but can you live on it as well?

If your sugar levels are too high, you have to take actions to bring them down. Being a type 1 diabetic, that means I need to test my BG, and give myself fast acting insulin to bring it to more normal levels. Once my BG is really high (meaning 500-600 mg/dl), it's pretty tough to bring them back down. The trick is: don't let them rise that high! So I check my BG a lot. If I see my BG is going bananas (did you know that bananas contain 20 gr of carbs per 100 gr?), I can react and try to bring them down immediately. I have to be conscious of my BG all the time. It's a full time job!


No comments: