Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Stormy weather

Fall has come, leaves are twirling in the air and the mornings are cold and wet. We have huge chestnut trees in front of our house, and every now and then, you can hear the chestnuts fall on the street.
Autumn always make me go back in time. My time in Portland, Oregon, where fall is the most beautiful and colorful season of the year. Visiting Multnomah Falls, getting some fresh air in Newport Beach or sitting in the jacuzzi on top of Mountain Hood.. it's the best time of the year. My great aunt Selina had a deep burgundy red maple tree in her front yard. I can still see it if I close my eyes. I see the shape of its leaves, the smell of the mulch on the dirt and the running around of squirrels. Aunt Selina has passed away several years ago. I'm glad I had the chance to get to know her and she welcomed my family into her home. Last time we went to Oregon, was in 2001. The girls were only 5 and 7 and it was their first flight. We arrived the day before Halloween, on a cold and dark night. Even the children remember the scenery of Oregon, with its wide and vast land, deep colors and tasteful filberts. We ate tons of chocolate covered filberts from Uncle Ray's orchard, until we were sick and in bed with tummy ache. Autumn in Oregon fills my heart with memories and warmth, and my stomach with home made Grandma Ople's apple pie..

No comments: