Thursday, November 19, 2009

The One Million Dollar Question

Is stem cell therapy the future? I'm about to find out. This Friday I'm going to attend the launch of an integrating project in the Royal Academy of Medicine in Brussels. Several American doctors and scientists are going to tell us all we need to know about the Production of Cell Transplants, the Regeneration of Beta Cells in the pancreas and Reprogramming the Immune System.

I have been invited by Professor Pipeleers of VUB Brussels, to attend this event and I'm looking forward to it. I'm really excited about this whole process. Several Belgian doctors have dedicated their time to research on stem cells. At this time, we are looking into using embryonic stem cells, to help people recover from different kinds of diseases, including diabetes. The embryos being used, are embryos that are left over from IVF procedures and would be tossed away anyway. It's quite a controversial that embryos are being used for research and many people are opposed to it. I wonder if they would still be opposed, if one of their beloved ones could be helped by stem cell therapy in the future, to get rid of their disease?

Anyway, I'll have my pen and notebook ready and I hope to get tons of information. I hear they are looking for volunteers as well..

I'll go to Brussels a little early. I could use a macchiato or a hazelnut latte. Anyone wants to join me?


No comments: