Tuesday, July 13, 2010

You are golden!

I have an exceptional diabetes nurse... We haven't known each other for that long, but from day one, I knew we were going to get along just fine. It is important for a diabetic, to have a diabetes nurse you can talk to. After all, we are depending on that nurse for our diabetes treatment and you just have to be able to talk to her about anything that involves your diabetes. There are so many people out there, who have a diabetes nurse they can't connect to. Those people are not motivated to keep good control or poke their fingers several times a day. In fact, your diabetes nurse is somehow a psychologist as well. Diabetes can be an emotional rollercoaster and emotions do affect your diabetes control more than we may want. If your nurse knows you well and she knows what keeps you busy, she can become very important. She can be a true motivator to help you cope with this disease. She's your back-up, your engine, your advisor.

For 8 years, I have struggled with diabetes. I have bought books, I have done research on the Net, I have listened to other diabetics. But in the end, it was still me and D.. Always trying to figure out what was the best way to get good control. Trying this and that, not knowing what the outcome would be.

So what a relief it is, to finally have found a nurse I can really talk to. A nurse who is willing to listen to me and help me figure out the best way to better control. A nurse, who doesn't scald me if things are not going well. A nurse, who picks me up after diabetes knocked me down again.. she does what she does, because we matter to her. We're no number in a waiting room. We're people. And we happen to have D..

No comments: