Monday, September 13, 2010

Boîte à Bobos +

The other week, I was going through the pantry, trying to clean up and throw out things that no longer belonged in there. One part of that pantry holds medical supplies. It startled me to see what a drugstore we have in the house.. I don't know if it's a good sign or not. We have medication around for most anything: headache, tummy ache, diarrhoea, tablets for motion sickness, cough syrup, nausea tablets, vitamins.. Bandages, sterile swabs, rubbing alcohol, band aids, tweezers.. Ointments for burns, bug bites, muscle cramps, allergies, .. And then there's a special section for my diabetes treatment: infusion sets, insulin cartridges, pump batteries, insulin pens, glucose strips, needles for my lancing device, glucose tablets, liquid glucose gel, waste bin for used needles, extra glucose meter and tons of pump pockets.

Most First Aid Cabinets don't have that much space to hold all of these supplies. Neither does ours. But most things are kept separate. I keep tablets in one section, ointments in another. My diabetes supplies are a completely different section. Most of those items are kept in closed boxes. Those boxes have labels, so anyone can get me whatever I need whenever I need it. There can't be any confusion. That's the same spot where I keep the manual of my insulin pump.

We even have a First Aid kit for the pets around here. They have their own set of tweezers (for tick removals), tablets (we don't like them to have worms), pain killers. Both dogs and tomcat Arthur have a Health Passport, that we take along on every visit to the vet. I keep my own health records in Google Health online.

In the living area, I have a Boîte à Bobos, with a small supply. It sits on the couch and it keeps glucose tablets, an insulin cartridge and infusion set, insulin, pump batteries, an extra lancing device and needles to go with it. Sometimes this place looks more like a drugstore..

I keep another Emergency Kit in the trunk of my car. It holds pretty much the same things: emergency supplies for my diabetes treatment, an insulin prescription, tablets for headaches and some band aids. It's better to be safe than sorry, right?

No comments: