Thursday, September 30, 2010

Prejudice and bias

There are many different races and cultures on this planet. Our country has become a complete mixture of cultures. I have always liked foreigners. It is exciting to talk to them and the interaction between cultures is interesting to say the least. Some cultures and races are more appealing to me than others. I have never been a racist and I hope I'll never become one. I have more problems with religion than with culture, although some religions are so connected with a culture, it's hard to unravel the ball of yarn.

In school, our kids have people in their classes or on the playground that were born in different countries and cultures. They don't mind. They think it's rather interesting. They don't see the race, they see the person. I like that about my girls. They're not prejudiced.

I have dated foreign people in the past. Some relations were better than others, but I can tell you: not one of them was boring. There are so many differences to get to know, languages to learn, customs to discover, food to taste. My heart saw no color, just love at first sight. I especially liked the curly eyelashes, the broad smile with the perfect white teeth and the skintone of my African-American boyfriend, the sparkling eyes and energetic dance moves of my Egyptian boyfriend. The heartiness and enthusiasm of my American fiancé. I have a Polish friend and there was a Turkish man in my school I liked to hang out with. I love the Arabic sounds in the language, the up tempo of Indian music, the zing of Japanese food. Yes, I'm a fan of different cultures.

No comments: