Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Sweetener or Sugar?

I know, it's a contradiction. Many still claim diabetics can't have sugar. But hey, guess what? Neither can you! Sugar is just not healthy. But then again.. it makes life more beautiful, doesn't it?

Ever tried baking cookies or a pie with sweetener? I'm sorry, but it's not edible. People that claim otherwise, haven't eaten sugar coated cookies or a crumble topped pie. You do need real sugar to get the yummy taste we all crave. So yes, I use sugar and I'm not ashamed of it. I use a whole lot less sugar than the recipes ask for. I count my carbs and I make sure I shoot up enough insulin to cover it.

In some recipes, I do use sweetener. Splenda Brown Sugar Blend is still my favorite. It is half brown sugar, half sweetener and it still has the structure of the real stuff. It is great for baking (I made my own gingerbread the other day), or to sprinkle over rice pudding. And I always use sweetener in my coffee (preferably Splenda Hazelnut), never ever do I use sugar in coffee. Not because I can't have it, but because I don't like sugar in my coffee.

And how about you? How do you feel about sugar? Or sweetener?

No comments: