Monday, October 11, 2010

That fall feeling..

Autumn Cake
Photo by Lana Joos
Across from our house, their are quite a few chestnut trees. They keep the sun away from the house in summer and make sure the cars are in the shade. But in the fall season, I admire the colors of the leaves twirling down from the huge and old trees. They gather in small heaps until the wind blows them on our doorstep.

I was in the mood for making some sort of cake with fall produce: apples, pecan nuts, cinnamon and a streusel topping. The whole house smelled wonderful.. I love the smell of cake and especially the fragrance of ground cinnamon. I use cinnamon all the time, not only in sweet dishes like applesauce or cake, but also in Moroccan dishes like chicken tagine with tons of vegetables (carrots, zucchini, tomatoes, onions, garlic, pumpkin, parsnip,..).

Maybe I should take the whippets for a walk in the woods. I'm not too fond of the mosquitoes that still hang out there and ticks are not my favorite either, but seeing the dogs jump in piles of leaves, is priceless.

No comments: