Sunday, February 13, 2011

Just the way you are

We all come in different sizes, shapes and personalities. That's what makes the world interesting to say the least. Imagine a world where we would all look alike and share the same opinion. It might be fun for some time, but I would definitely miss the diversity of the people around us. Meeting with and talking to people from different cultures, religions, disabilities or orientation enriches our life. It doesn't mean I would want to live exactly like them or that I need to agree with everything they stand for, but it gives us the opportunity to reflect and think about who we are.

In each person I meet, I find attractive and interesting features that I like to indulge. I'm like a sponge, soaking up as much information I can hold. The world is immensely big. We will never have the chance to visit every country and meet up with locals. That's why I embrace other cultures in my neighborhood. It's different than learning in school or out of a book. It's real life. It's sad that some are too blindsighted to open their heart and let other people get to know them. Maybe they miss out on a unique chance. It doesn't mean you have to become best friends, but at least it will be a new experience. Isn't that the reason why we like to go abroad and travel around? Then why is it so hard to appreciate different people for who they are in our own surroundings..

No comments: