Tuesday, September 4, 2012

That was then... Now...

At the age of 18, doctors told me that the three lower vertebra of my spine are affected by arthritis. I was pretty young back then and there was no particular reason for that back injury. I did work long hours in a restaurant and trotted around on high heels working, but so many people do the same thing and don't suffer from back pain.

Over the years, my back hasn't healed at all. On the contrary: the problem is no longer just my lower back. It has gone up as well: right between my shoulder blades and the vertebra in my neck hurt like crazy. It's an every day issue. There's always the nagging feeling around my spine. It's difficult to bend over or to stand for a long period of time. Ironing is painful. So is sweeping floors or cleaning windows. It's not that I don't want to do my chores. I have to make sure I don't do all of these things on the same day, or I get in real trouble. Sometimes it takes me several days to finish one single chore, because I need to sit down and relax, so I don't need to take pain killers all the time. I hardly ever take pain relief. I rather take it easy, because on pain medication, you keep going and that doesn't do any good to your back either. Sometimes, my body really feels old and sore. It does not always correspond with the person I am or the things I want to do. I feel that I need to give up on certain things to keep going.

I could use a good massage. Actually, when I think of it, some heat would be nice too. Thinking of the pressure of two thumbs on the sore spots, makes me long for a good chiropractor... 

No comments: