Thursday, March 28, 2013

Jibber jabber

I can't believe it's snowing again..
     Don't you just hate snow?
I know.. people get depressed and they no longer want to come out of bed.
     What do you think about it, Rita?
I'm not listening to your babbling, what were you saying?
     Hey missie! Is that an iPad you are working on?

I nod and I smile and I keep typing. Three pairs of male eyes are watching me. I can feel their presence and their staring. They are not used to having an intruder in their hangout. They are trying to figure out why I am sitting there, having my cup of chicken soup (I hate it when the water isn't hot enough, leaving lumps of concentrated powder in my mug) and tapping the keys on my tablet.
Rita is nice. She smiles at me. From the corner of my eye, I can tell her hair has got thinner since the last time I was there. I wonder if she's feeling well. I can see her scalp through the almost white strands of hair. I know I will never ask her about her health. We don't converse like she does with her other clients. They have beers and she sips her coffee. She gives them another draft and their voices get louder and harsher by the number of beers they have.
I keep typing. I check Facebook. The comments on the diabetesforum I frequent are numerous tonight. Rita asks me if I want another mug of soup. On the house, she says. I'm not looking forward to having another lukewarm soup, but I smile back at her. She looks tired. I overhear her conversation with the man near the coffee machine. She says she wants to close the pub. She's tired. She's had enough. The man agrees and puts his hand on her arm.

Two of the regulars are leaving. They ask me if I can add them on my friendlist on Facebook. I think they are funny. I also think they have had one beer too many. One of them has a vulgar laughter. He can't find the lock on his car door. Like I said.. too much beer.. Do you think someone is waiting for him at home? I don't think so. Why would he spend his time with Rita? Because of the beer? Because of Rita? Who knows..

It's time for me to go. I put away the iPad and I pay for my soup. I won't go back for a while. I hope Rita will still be there when I come back..

No comments: