Monday, June 3, 2013

Monday Monday

Never before had I heard about The Mamas & The Papas. This American vocal folk group was very popular in the sixties, I was told. The little girl I took care of at the time, had one of their tapes and she knew all the songs by heart. At first I wasn't that impressed with the music, but over the weeks I learned to appreciate it. Every morning, when I would take Natalie to school, I would put the tape in the recorder and we would start to sing along. We had to cross several bridges in downtown Portland, to drop off her parents at work, before we would continue our way to the French school Natalie was frequenting. Since we always played that same tape, it was a sport to make sure the correct song was playing nearby the correct bridge. Depending on traffic, we would make it or not. That one song I never forgot, was Monday Monday. The two of us would sing real loud. Natalie would be sitting in the back in her car seat, a smile from ear to ear. I would dress her in the morning, and I remember being goofy by giving her two different colored sneakers. She would wear a white sneaker with a pink sock and a pink sneaker with a white sock. It instantly brightened our day. I liked taking Natalie to school. I would pick her up around lunch time and then the game would start all over again. Another favorite of ours, was Dream a little dream of me. It was pretty melancholic and dramatic and you should've seen our faces while singing the lyrics. That must have been totally ridiculous for the people in the cars around us. But we could care less. Our time in the car was never boring. Thanks to The Mamas & The Papas. 

No comments: