Saturday, July 4, 2009

Pimp my pump!


With pain in my heart... I traded my blue Cozmo insulin pump for a purple Paradigm 722. It was kinda weird though to switch pumps. I feel like I have to mourn now and then move on. Because Cozmo is not coming back..it's history.

I know for sure that the Paradigm is also a good pump. It is different though. Some features my Cozmo had, are not available on the Paradigm. There is no software either, to personalize it. I liked the idea of giving it a personal touch, because after all, my pump is on my body 24/7. Does it surprise you, that I wanted it to look nice and colorful? The sales representative promised me some nice stickers for my pump, to cheer it up a little more.

Both my daughters joined me at the clinic, for moral support (and also because they were promised an outing to the mall afterwards). They are wonderful and they sure help me through this pumping episode.

The actual switch didn't go that well. High glucose in the afternoon, a 22 mg/dl at night and a 458 mg/dl near the morning. The last number is the result of the excessive binge party caused by the hypo earlier. Shoot... I was glad that I could call my friend, who also traded her Cozmo for the Paradigm and she helped me out. So did the sales rep! It's good to have someone out there, who wants to take the time and effort to help you solve the problem.

I'm trying to figure the pump out today, seeing what it can and cannot do. I'm glad it's not bigger than my Cozmo, because I liked that size. It fits in most cell phone cases. After all, I'm a girl right? And girls want to look good, even if they carry an insulin pump!




No comments: