Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Love and marriage

We did most things the other way around. We got pregnant within 14 days after we met. We moved house before we were pregnant with our second child. But most of all: I proposed! Yes, you heard me! I asked hubby to marry me! He's not the typical romantic man, sitting on his knees, holding my hand to ask me. So I asked him!

I planned the whole thing in private. I made reservations in a very nice hotel just across the border, in Holland. We went out to dinner in the restaurant of the hotel and all I could think of was: when are we going to go back to our room??? After dinner, hubby wanted to go into the basement, to have coffee and brandy. DUH! What if he got drunk? What if I could not even propose to him, without him falling asleep?

So I convinced him to go upstairs. I asked if he wanted to take a bath before we went to bed. But he said he had already taken a shower and all he wanted to do at that time, was get a good night of sleep. That was not according to plan. Hmhmhm... I had the whole thing set up in the bathroom. The letter, glasses, a bottle of bubbles. I finally suggested he would make me a nice hot bath and so he did..

The moment I will never forget, is when he came out of that bathroom, stunned! Saying: look honey, there's champagne and glasses! Do you think they will charge us for drinking it???

I couldn't help but laugh..! Then he found the letter, burnt corners and tied in a red velvet ribbon. He lay beside me on the bed when he read it. He didn't understand it at first. But then he came back to this world and he couldn't do much else than say YES! For the first time since we met, I saw a tear in his eyes.. It still moves me when I think of it..

No comments: