Saturday, August 29, 2009

Smokey Robinson

I call them Smokey Robinsons... By them, I mean the relatives and friends that smoke. I have never smoked and I don't know why I am that opposed to it. I know it has got worse over the years. Assuming it has something to do with my diagnosis of diabetes? On a daily basis diabetics have to struggle to remain as healthy as possible: we need to watch our food, calculate the right amounts of insulin we are injecting ourselves, keep low on the fats and sugar, .. We know how people all of a sudden get a chronic disease, just like that. Only a finger snap and you are "gifted" with a condition you can no longer ignore. Maybe that's why I find it so painful that first of all: my own husband smokes.. He has taken numerous of efforts to give up on smoking, but his attempts never last long. It makes me really sad to witness him destroying his own, healthy body. Why do people keep on doing this? It's not that they don't know the hazards, because they do, trust me.

You may call me a bore and you can say I'm not very tolerant, that's your right. I know smoking is bad for you. My grandfather had lung cancer. I remember how he suffered and how difficult it was for him to catch his breath. Why would one intentionally destroy his health? Because that's what they are doing... What profit does smoking give them, that is so pleasant, that it is more important than their body and health?

My husband always asks me what present he can buy me for my birthday. I always give him the same answer: stop smoking.. I would hate it if our daughters would start to smoke one day. He says it would be their choice. Kids that grow up in homes of smoking parents, are more vulnerable to this disgusting habit in their future life. Hubby never smokes in the house and that has been his own choice. I'm very grateful that he doesn't. I can't even stand the sight of him smoking, because it breaks my heart. It's like slapping me in the face and taunting fate. Will I or won't I get lung cancer???

A good friend of mine is so excited about having a baby. She promised me that she and her husband will stop smoking as soon as she gets pregnant. How come it's so hard for me to believe? Why do they think only a baby is worth quitting? Do they think their own life isn't important or valuable enough? What if they get sick before they get pregnant? What if their body is already that poisoned, that it will harm the baby before it is even conceived? I know she hates it when I ask her to give up on smoking. She's not serious about it, but I am.

Three other friends of mine, who happen to be brothers, smoke as well. They are very precious to me and I really value them for many reasons. I would hate to see one of them get sick because of their smoking habits. I love them, just like I love my other smoking friends and relatives. Why don't they love themselves enough to give up the bad habit?

My sister-in-law is a single mom of a nine yo son. She's doing real well at raising him and she has a good job. Her son nags about her smoking on a daily basis. He hates it, probably as much as I do. So yes, we fight a lot about cigarettes and cigars and all the other sh*t.

I love you guys. I do not want to loose you..


No comments: