Friday, October 23, 2009

Crazy Carbs

In the old days, diabetics were put on a very strict diet: no sugars! What they didn't know back then, is that all carbohydrates become sugar in our bodies. So we can never cut out all the carbs out of our diet. There are fast carbs and slow carbs. It's better to eat less of the fast carbs and more of the slow carbs. Some carbs affect your blood glucose more than others. It depends on how your body reacts. I have learned by now, that my body reacts fiercely when I have fast carbs like sugar, soft drinks, candy, cake, ... but also when I have slow carbs like bread or dairy products. Some carbs I like to leave out of my diet. I'm not going to eat Chinese food any more and I have noticed what fatty meals do to my blood glucose levels. Those crazy carbs!!! If I were real nice, and I mean extremely nice, towards my blood sugars, I would no longer eat fast carbs, no bread, no rice, no noodles, no potatoes, no fruit, ... It would be better for my HbA1c but I don't know how I would respond to that..


No comments: