Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A child strapped to my leg

Neither one of our children were clingy. We have raised them to be independent children with good self esteem. They don't always need their parents around to help them out. They are 15 and 13 now, and they do real well. They have learned how to take a shower at a young age, cook simple meals, iron their clothes or do the laundry, vacuum the house, change the covers on their beds.

Some people decide they do not want to have kids. They are afraid the child will be strapped to their legs and they will loose their freedom. I don't have the idea that I lost my freedom because of my children. On the contrary, my children have brought so much joy and wealth into my life, that I'm so lucky and happy to have them. They are a true gift.

Of course there are times that I would want to hide them in a drawer or leave them with my inlaws for a couple of days. But those days are rare.
If I see the neat and fragile interior of a friend's house, I envy him for not having children. Imagine two kids on a white leather couch.. Think greasy finger prints on expensive wallpaper. Sticky pieces of jelly sandwiches crumbled on the seats of your fancy car. It just wouldn't be right. That's an advantage of not having children, although your heart is big enough to have them. I'm sure you would be a wonderful dad. It is more realistic to have this kind of life, without children.

I'm very happy with my girls. I wouldn't want to miss them. Just thinking something might happen to them, would make my heart stop. I couldn't imagine a life without them. Even if the both of them argue. Because that's what sisters do. I love to go out and socialize, but I'm as happy to come home and cuddle my children and respect them for who they are..


No comments: