Saturday, February 5, 2011

La rivière du temps qui passe

Children grow up way too fast. Before you'll get the chance to realize it, the fingerprints on the wallpaper will have faded. You will ask yourself: when did they get to grow so tall?

Nobody is entitled to have children. Children are a gift and they should be treated likewise. Children are the most precious gift ever and they deserve respect. We are fortunate to have been blessed with two daughters. Not one day goes by, without being thankful for the joy they bring into our lives. I cherish my girls for who they are. They don't have to be someone I want them to be. Being who they are, is plenty.
Does that mean I put my girls on a pedestal? Not at all. I'm pretty realistic. Own child proper child is not a saying I support. I'm more than willing to support them and stand by their side, but that doesn't mean they can do whatever they please. I will always love them, no matter what.

Sometimes it's scary to see how much they resemble their parents. I see parts of me and parts of their daddy in each one. After all, they are a mix of both parents and that's an interesting fact. Maybe we wish some of our characteristics were not passed on to our children. We may recognize parts of their personality that are very confrontational. Should we hold that against them? Absolutely not! They are who they are and that's the best they can be. I can't grasp why some parents despise their children. How can you not love your own flesh and blood? That will remain a mystery to me, I suppose..

Love your children and let them know they will always be loved, no matter what. Children are vulnerable and they are like sponges, absorbing so much information. If that information is not stimulating but negative, it will take many years to get over it. Words can be so powerful.. to a much bigger extend than we can ever grasp. Words can hurt so much and leave deep wounds..
Even after a divorce, children need to know how much both their parents love them, despite the fact that the parents are no longer in love. The love for a child is different from the love for a spouse. The love for your children is unconditional, they say. At least, that's what it should be. I can't imagine letting my children down to the fact that they would not want to see me anymore. After all, we are the adults and we should swallow our pride and let our kids know, that parents too, make mistakes. Nothing's wrong with letting your children know, you haven't been fair to them and you would like to make up. Don't break the bond between you and your children. Don't let anything come between that bond.. you won't regret it.. because children love their parents eternally and unconditionally, no matter what.. Sometimes they are more of a hero than we will ever be..

No comments: